The Canmore Coho Summer Swim Club is a non-profit organization that offers a swim program that follows the Canadian Sport for Life LTAD Model, which meets the needs and goals of each individual swimmer.
Swimming provides one of the most beneficial forms of exercise for the cardiovascular system and for overall fitness. This exercise can be enjoyed throughout one’s entire life whether it is for competition or recreation.
Participating in an organized swim program provides the opportunity for your child to develop life long skills. Not to mention learning a life saving skill in a controlled environment.
These skills include
- To set goals skillfully
- To manage time
- To learn self-discipline
- To learn commitment and sportsmanship
- To utilize positive self-talk
- To take responsibility
- To care for personal belonging
- To exhibit a positive attitude
- To co-operate with others in pursuit of common goals
- To make life long friends
- To learn a life skill
Sport provides a unique environment to develop mental and physical abilities and like other sports competitive swimmers are often disproportionately successful in academics and their professions. Swimming plays an important role in fostering skills to overcome adversity and challenge. Some of these virtues include personal responsibility, independence consistency, persistence, resolve, leadership, confidence, integrity, and teamwork.
Possibly one of the greatest benefits of swimming is the opportunity for your child to develop socially. The camaraderie among swimmers is unique; many swimming “buddies” become lifelong friends in and out of the pool. It is these social interactions that help develop a child’s confidence and personality.
- To provide a fun, nurturing, competitive and developmental swimming environment with qualified coaches who are dedicated to developing each child physically, socially and emotionally.
- To promote the sport of competitive swimming through regularly scheduled competitions, thereby developing team spirit, sportsmanship and self-confidence
- To teach and develop competitive swimming skills in children ages 5-18.
- To support both competitive and non-competitive swimmers within the program.
- To provide a safe social, physical and emotional environment for each swimmer.
- To encourage the development of junior coaches within our club.